My Adventure in Mommyhood

Monday, June 6, 2011

The Vargracies of the Internet....

I saw this on Real Mom Review...

It's a cartoon about misspelling things on the Internet. I would download the image, but Real Mom deserves the page hits.

It cracks me up how true this is... 

I post on a lot of political forums. You can make the most erudite post in history. You can cite sources that are impeccable and without reproach. You can write a post complete with appropriate and insightful footnotes.

But, if you make one spelling error, the other posters will eat you alive. You will see a perfectly rational discussion turn into a flame war that dwarfs the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens...

I call this the Rule of Internet Bravery. (I made this one up.) It is predicated on the reality that, no matter who or where you are, you feel completely anonymous on the Internet.

The first corollary to the Rule of Internet Bravery is: Lacking a reasonable, rational and/or believable argument, one can attack any real, or perceived, grammatical error in order to prolong an already lost argument and allow the poster to avoid the worst faux pas of the Internet - backing down.

The second corollary to the Rule of Internet Bravery is: Use of the word "irregardless" will produce a response that can only be measured in reference to a Category 5 tornado...

No comments:

Post a Comment