My Adventure in Mommyhood

Friday, August 19, 2011

Five Question Friday

1. Do you close the bathroom door when you are home alone?


No; but then, I live alone

2. You have to walk around with a word on your forehead. That word describes you. One word. What is it? 



Antidisestablishmentarianism (The constitution forbids the establishment of a state religion by the federal government. When the constitution was first written, the establishment/practice religion clause of the 1st amendment was not applied to states. Many states created 'state churches'. By the end of the 18th century, the practice of 'state churches' was coming under fire. Disestablishmentarians were for abolishing 'state chuches'. The persons who supported 'state churches' were called antidisestablishmentarians. They practiced antidisestablishmentarianism.)


I do not support he concept antidisestablishmentarianism, but it is a cool sounding word and would be a conversation starter - like having a word on your forehead wouldn't be a conversation starter.


If I couldn't have that, the word would be 'merciful'. Having the word written on my forehead would make it easier for me to be merciful and tolerant. And to be accountable to others to make sure I live up to the word.


3. What store do you refuse to shop at and why? 



Wal-mart. 


Let's just say I am not enamored of their business practices.

4. If you participated in arranged marriages for your child(ren), who would you choose for your child(ren)? 



I believe arranged marriage is among the most barbaric customs in the history of the world. 


The reality of arranged marriages in the Muslim world is not, as many people claim, in the Koran*, (neither is wearing of the burka or the hajib; suicide bombing; mass murder;  or anti-Semitism). It is entirely cultural; should be stopped immediately; and people should be allowed to make their own choices.


Due to its widespread acceptance and practice in Muslim countries, I realize this is just a pipe dream.


*I use Islamic countries as an example, since arranged marriages are common in their culture.

5. If you could pick how and when you would die, would you?



Lazarus Long, a character is a series of books written by Robert Heinlein known as the 'future history' series, lived forever. 


In reality, his life was pretty miserable. He had to insinuate himself into families since had none. He had to watch friends and families die. He constantly had to re-educate himself to keep up with the 'times'. And so on.


In the example of Lazarus Long, I would pick a date in the future, say 50 years after humans colonize the moon.


I don't want to live forever.


I would prefer to die quickly. Probably from trauma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment